Saturday, November 10, 2007

To infinity and beyond...


Tomorrow is Gregory's second birthday! I can hardly believe that he's already 2 years old. And simultaneously, I can hardly believe that he's only been on the earth for 2 years, because frankly, life b.g. is a real blur. We often ask each other, "what did we do with ourselves?" I know we were busy and doing important things, but I just can't even remember, say, a typical evening, sans small people.

Back to my little man. He's growing up, y'all. And I'm pretty in love with the little person he's becoming. He's smart, brave, obedient (usually!), cheerful, has a good sense of humor, is deeply curious, is kind to his little bro', loves books, singing, food (a man after my own heart), Elmo, Bob the Builder, Thomas the Train, and jumping on the trampoline....oh, and bubbles. Many, many bubbles.

I have to admit, though- amidst all these joys of seeing him grow and watching his personality unfold-there's that heartache of uncertainty. How will his life unfold? Will he get tripped up by the wrong kind of people? Will he fall into some sort of debilitating addiction? Will he go off to war? Will someone break his heart? Will he be liked at school? Will he find joy in his work? What will the world be like for him as the years pass? Most importantly, will he walk with Christ as his Saviour? These are the questions I ask myself every day. Jaye reminds me that all we can do is all we can do, and we have to trust God with the rest. And pray. And pray some more. I have never prayed more feverishly for anything than for the safety and salvation of my children.

But tomorrow, we're taking a break from the scary questions. Tomorrow, on Gregory's second birthday, only fun questions are allowed...."hey! Do you want another piece of cake? How about another present? You don't want to take your afternoon nap....hmm...ok! Oh, you want to go in the backyard with no shoes? A-ok with me! More trampoline? Sure! More books? You bet! Play-dough? Sure! You can even mix the colors today. More bubbles? I'm on it." It's your day, my little man. I love you so much. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You got me all emotionalized up, NellyBelly. What a beautiful tribute to parenthood.